Vai al contenuto

Eurovelo 8

ThomasR

Hello,

My name is Thomas, I'm French. I speak a bit of Italian, but it will be easier for me to xrite in English.

I though to spent some time travelling on the EV8 (from Piacenza to Veneto maybe?) in Italy end of june / early july, with my wife and my son (5 yrs old).

My son will be either on the Floow-me or biking by himself.

My question is "simple" : how to know what portions are ONLY FOR BIKES, which ones are shared but secure, and which ones are unsafe? I can't find useful and EASY informations.

Thank you for your replies.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

41 minutes ago, ThomasR said:

Hello,

My name is Thomas, I'm French. I speak a bit of Italian, but it will be easier for me to xrite in English.

I though to spent some time travelling on the EV8 (from Piacenza to Veneto maybe?) in Italy end of june / early july, with my wife and my son (5 yrs old).

My son will be either on the Floow-me or biking by himself.

My question is "simple" : how to know what portions are ONLY FOR BIKES, which ones are shared but secure, and which ones are unsafe? I can't find useful and EASY informations.

Thank you for your replies.

Hi Thomas and welcome,

I don't know if anybody here did the eurovelo 8.

I see from the website that the portion between Pavia and Venezia is marked as "complete".

In this website they say that the route is mainly traffic free or with very light traffic, they also offer gps files for download, maybe you already know it.. 

Loggati per vedere il contenuto

• Like 3
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Great! Thank you Visconte. I mainly sticked to the eurovelo.org et .com sites, but your link has better informations, and as it says : " Unfortunately the map on the European Cyclists Federation website (

), while it gives a good overview, isn’t useful for detailed route planning. "

The OSM site is great for all the different options, but the legend is not always that clear between what's car free or not (IMO).

I will have a look at the gps files (that's my wife's job usually, she's a Strava addict...).

I note as well

"A large proportion is also on either traffic-free cycleway or on quiet roads (in many cases roads that are open only to residents). "

"After Piacenza the proportion on unsurfaced road/track increases. "

"Bear in mind also that, particularly on the sections along the Po that there may be almost no services along the way"

Thanks again.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

56 minutes ago, ThomasR said:

Great! Thank you Visconte. I mainly sticked to the eurovelo.org et .com sites, but your link has better informations, and as it says : " Unfortunately the map on the European Cyclists Federation website (

), while it gives a good overview, isn’t useful for detailed route planning. "

The OSM site is great for all the different options, but the legend is not always that clear between what's car free or not (IMO).

I will have a look at the gps files (that's my wife's job usually, she's a Strava addict...).

I note as well

"A large proportion is also on either traffic-free cycleway or on quiet roads (in many cases roads that are open only to residents). "

"After Piacenza the proportion on unsurfaced road/track increases. "

"Bear in mind also that, particularly on the sections along the Po that there may be almost no services along the way"

Thanks again.

Also please keep in mind your degree of expertise riding with your son. 

I don't know if and how many times you cycled in italy and where but it may be a quite different experience than france.. don;t expect much empathy from the car drivers.. ;-) Nothing terrible but it's worth considering..

Are you registered on warmshowers.org?

Also where it says "unsurfaced road/track" I wouldn't worry too much, we're not talking about off-road but maybe some white road..

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Don't know if could help, but here there's a good map with the cycling routes in veneto

Blue one are tarmac, the greens are gravel roads.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Thank you both, everything is helpful.

@Visconte, we are not ùeùbers of warmshowers.org (yet). We like to camp (it's funny for a kid) but a hard roof is sometimes helpful (we sleep in hotels when it's rainy or when we want a good bed...).

Thomas

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti