Vai al contenuto

Fixed scene in Rome, info in english

chrisc

Ciao a tutti! Non so parlare italiano...

Sorry, that's all I know in italian, I have to continue in English. 

The thing is that I didn't find any info for non-natives on your forum. I'm a fixed enthusiast from Finland about to move to Rome this September (in one week!), and would like to hear some tips regarding fixed riding in Rome. 

Info of the following would be much appreciated:

Good local shops.

Nearest velodromes and how to ride on them 

Good spots or routes to ride

Where I would find a bike fast? Anything cheap goes I suppose, konversions, real pista machines, even really shitty ones to start with, alu or steel, size around 54. 

I'm going to stay until the end of the year for exchange studies.

Heres a pic of my current bike back home. Mainly using it on the track only. Unfortunately the Fondriest on is a bit too small for me. Klick for bigger images.

Loggati per vedere il contenuto

Old one I had to sell, I needed the money:

Grazie mille e cari saluti

• Like 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

@lonewolf . he's the man in rome.

welcome to italy!

bless

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

The thing is that I didn't find any info for non-natives on your forum. I'm a fixed enthusiast from Finland about to move to Rome this September (in one week!), and would like to hear some tips regarding fixed riding in Rome. 

Good local shops.

Where I would find a bike fast? Anything cheap goes I suppose, konversions, real pista machines, even really shitty ones to start with, alu or steel, size around 54. 

Heres a pic of my current bike back home. Mainly using it on the track only. Unfortunately the Fondriest on is a bit too small for me. Klick for bigger images.

Hey Chris, there's a nice scene in rome, I'm sure that @zinzu and other folks will be glad to meet and help you.

You can check the calendar on this site or the "eventi" section  for some races/meetups/beers..

Also you can check this section of the forum for a bargain on complete bikes or frames/forks.

I'm not from Rome but have some friends there. Let me know if you need help translating anything from the marketplace section.

ciao

• Like 3
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hi Chris! The best thing would be to meet and discuss it all in front of a beer;) but here a few quick infos..the scene here in rome is growing; the roman messengers "eadessopedala", the Velorome- and the Skid Chicks- crews organise many events such as alleycats and group rides  with great vibes! There is a velodrome (in Forano, about an hour away from town, open-air, concrete track, free entry) with occasional "group sessions". Shops are getting more and more into fixed bicycles and you won't have problems finding used gear (not only on the forum). According to your preferences you can choose among various "standard" routes in and out of town: e.g. mostly flat towards (and along) the coast or hilly towards the "castelli" (south-west of rome) area or the lakes (north-west) but there are many more. You might have to get a bit used to the traffic and breathing in a bit too much smog at times..but it never get's boring around here;) A good option is to take the train (cheap) out of town and start from there avoiding the mess.

Regarding used bikes i suggest you take a look at the market-section here in the forum (see Visconte Cobram's link) and on subito.it which is something like craigslist. I might have something, but we'd need to tdiscuss sizes first!

Let us know when u are here and we'll organize a meet-up!

P.S. which university and faculty will you be studying at here in rome?

• Like 3
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Good local shops.

Ciao Chris!
it's nice to hear that northern legs will pedal here in Rome .. 

Well. About stores I suggest you Zio Bici, which is the main point for the Roman scene. Then there are many other stores, not only for fixed or trackbike, like Lazzaretti, Olmo, ProBike, etc...

In Rome we have different groups, but we organize events together: I'm with VELOROME, then there are Eadessopedala bike messenger, Velodust, the girls of SkidChicks, Mattiperlegare, and many others. we organize all kinds of competitions, alleycats, trips around and much more. 
The closest velodrome are Avezzano and Forano (RI): we often organize trips to Forano. 

However, if you have facebook add VLRM Velorome so you stay tuned about events, tours and more. 
Write me for anything you need. Currently I am not in Rome, but surely we will ride together soon!

Gildo
  • Like 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hi Chris! The best thing would be to meet and discuss it all in front of a beer;) but here a few quick infos..the scene here in rome is growing; the roman messengers "eadessopedala", the Velorome- and the Skid Chicks- crews organise many events such as alleycats and group rides  with great vibes! There is a velodrome (in Forano, about an hour away from town, open-air, concrete track, free entry) with occasional "group sessions". Shops are getting more and more into fixed bicycles and you won't have problems finding used gear (not only on the forum). According to your preferences you can choose among various "standard" routes in and out of town: e.g. mostly flat towards (and along) the coast or hilly towards the "castelli" (south-west of rome) area or the lakes (north-west) but there are many more. You might have to get a bit used to the traffic and breathing in a bit too much smog at times..but it never get's boring around here;) A good option is to take the train (cheap) out of town and start from there avoiding the mess.

Regarding used bikes i suggest you take a look at the market-section here in the forum (see Visconte Cobram's link) and on subito.it which is something like craigslist. I might have something, but we'd need to tdiscuss sizes first!

Let us know when u are here and we'll organize a meet-up!

P.S. which university and faculty will you be studying at here in rome?

Thank you all, especially basco and zinzu, for your replys!

Really looking forward on arriving to Rome, will get there on monday evening (1st of september) and will stay until christmas. Sounds like you have a good thing going on in the town and I'm totally up for a trip to the velodrome. 

I'm going to study economics in LUISS and I'm going to rent an apartment East from Villa Ada. Don't know really anything about the school or the neighborhood, except a friend who has lived in Rome said that LUISS is a posh school.

Smog might be a new thing to be accustomed with for me, we generally have a very good air quality in HELsinki. I'll definitely use the train a bit. Should I get a card or some regional ticket or just pay per use?

Size 54 is perfect, if you happen to come across any cheap old whips or something a bit nicer even. I'll probably be on a lookout for a nice track/fixed frame to take with me as a souvenir when I return home. I have visions of swapping the parts from my Fondriest to a more appropriate sized frame. 

I'm up for beer any time on tuesday! 

Ps. Funny zinzu mentioned Olmo. Made me remember that all of my recent bikes have been italian, the one before the Dodici was a Olmo pursuit.

• Like 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hi guys! I'm finally here, or have been since monday. I would really like to get a bike, even though not that many seem to be riding a bike here. 

Could you help me find one? Cheap is the key but better quality is always considered. Size 54-55 is good but anything near that is fine. One gear or more is ok too. 

I have tried contacting a few sellers on submit.it but i don't get any answer from them by mail. You may understand that I'm not willing to call them directly either because I don't speak Italian at all. 

Cheers!

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hi @chrisc,
Today there is a party to ZIOBICI from 6pm to 21pm

There will be a lot of cyclists, not only fixed ones. If you come, we can meet and look for a used fixed bike.

ps: Sorry for my bad English

• Like 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hi @Stefano865, thank you for telling me! I'm not sure of my plans for today yet, bit I'll let you know if i come. It could be fun! 

Are you allowed to take a bike with you on the metro or other public transport in Rome? 

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hi @Stefano865, thank you for telling me! I'm not sure of my plans for today yet, bit I'll let you know if i come. It could be fun! 

Are you allowed to take a bike with you on the metro or other public transport in Rome? 

On saturday and holidays, you can.

On weekdays is possible only at certain times (till 7a.m. / from 10am to 12 am/ from 8pm until the closure)

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hi @chrisc,

Today there is a party to ZIOBICI from 6pm to 21pm

There will be a lot of cyclists, not only fixed ones. If you come, we can meet and look for a used fixed bike.

ps: Sorry for my bad English

Hey, I think I'm going to come here, I'll be something like 18:30 there. See you there @Stefano865

• Like 2
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

• 2 weeks later...

hi man, are you selling the green bike? i'm interested. write me a message about the price. sorry for my english but is late, and i'm drunk. peace @chrisc

l'ha già venduta fra

• Like 2
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti